Saturday, September 17, 2011

I have arrived in the Franceland!

So, I arrived safely in Toulouse! My flight to London was fine, although I didn't sleep as much as I'd like, despite the Benedryl.

I had about four hours to chill in Heathrow, which was fine, if a bit boring. For some reason there were Japanese schoolgirls running around EVERYWHERE. It was quite bizarre, especially since at that point I was really sleep deprived and somewhat out of it. I was just wandering around all the stores with my big rollie bag.

Then I popped on another flight, and arrived in TOULOUSE!

The hostel I'm staying in is completely awesome. There are people from all over the world, and since all of them seem to be looking for apartments in France, there's a sense of solidarity among all of us. Our hostel has a garden, and last night we had a barbecue (aka cheese and chips) in it. At one point, there were people there from Canada, England (Wales too), Turkey, Georgia (the country), Sweden, Mexico, Italy, Austria, Germany, Spain, and, of course, the US of A. There were some very intense debates, which mainly consisted of me yelling at the Brits and telling them our pronunciation/spelling of words was better. There were three rather spirited debates along this them:

1. The pronunciation of urinal: In England, they pronounce it Ur-RI-nal (like rhino). However, they say urine the same way we do. I proposed that since our pronunciation of urinal was closer to that of urine, it was better than theirs. Winner (in my mind): me.

2. Aluminum/Aluminium: British people say and spell it like "Aluminium." When they heard me say "Aluminum," they immediately pounced on us, telling us that we were saying it wrong. Eventually, they figured out that since we spelled it differently, it was okay that we also said it differently.

3. Eggplants and Courgettes: In England, they say "Aubergine" for Eggplant and "Courgette" for Zucchini. For this one, we reached a compromise. We decided that Eggplant was a strange word, and should be replaced by Aubergine, but that zucchini was far superior to courgette.

Today my friend (another girl from the program) and I wandered about Toulouse. I did not realize how small this city would be. After living in Paris, I think I expected Toulouse to be the same size. However, it was way smaller, so much that we were able to walk across it in a relatively short time.

Toulouse is a really pretty city. It is definitely a walkable city, and it seemed like there were people everywhere! Cars actually stop for pedestrians, while in Paris, they are more likely to run you over.

Since I know some people (aka my father) are interested in what I've been eating here, I'll list what I've been eating. So far today I've had a croque-monsieur, a café noisette, a café crème and three mini pastries: une chausson aux pommes, une chausson aux framboises, and something called une jésuite.

My Swedish roommate is skyping a Swedish friend, and every once in a while I hear her use an english phrase. Let me tell you, it's quite bizarre to hear 5 minutes of Swedish and then "Being Spontaneous" (the way she said it requires capitalization), followed by more Swedish.

I am meeting more people from my program tonight! Four of us are going to dinner together. It will be nice to finally put names to faces!
Bises!

1 comment:

  1. Linny,
    I am so glad to hear you have arrived safely. We miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete